Food Packaging Testing
ALS Environmental has provided testing of materials that come in contact with food for over 20 years. Our primary food packaging analytical services revolve around the measurement of trace contaminates that are monitored or regulated by various state, federal or international regulatory agencies. The Recycled Paperboard Technical Association (RPTA) and ALS have been working together for more than ten years on various applications related to food packaging materials. The following is a brief list of some of the typical analytical services we provide for the manufacturers of packaging that may come into contact with food:
Packaging Testing Services
- 21 CFR 176.170 Components of Paper and Paperboard in Contact with Aqueous and Fatty Foods: FDA Extraction Conditions A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H.
- “Dairyman’s Standard” Bacteria Testing: Heterotropic bacteria testing for compliance with 1991 “Fabrication of Single-Service Containers and Closures for Milk and Milk Products” criteria.
- Microwave Susceptors: Quantification of Volatile Extractables in Microwave Heat-Susceptor Packaging using ASTM F1519-98 techniques for acrylonitrile, benzene, carbon tetrachloride, chloroform, 1,2-dichloroethane, 1,4-dioxane, epichlorohydrin, ethyl acrylate, and methylene chloride.
- Guidance for Industry: Preparation of Premarket Submissions for Food Contact Substances: Chemistry Recommendations. Migration Experiment Design and Testing for Food Contact Notification Submissions and Food Additive Petitions.
- Health, Safety, and Risk Management: FDA Extractions, Bacteria, Volatile Organics, Metals, PCBs, Semivolatile Organics, Organochlorine Pesticides, Phthalate Esters, and Dioxin.
- Proposition 65 Components View Proposition 65 List...
- Wet Strength Components and Coating Monomers: Acetaldehyde, Formaldehyde, Acrylamide, Ethyl Acetate, and Vinyl Acetate
- Emissions Chambers: Odor Identification, Volatile Organics, Sulfur Speciation, Product Emission Studies
- Migration Studies: FDA solvents and extractions
- Phthalate Esters
- Analytical Method Development and Consultation
Learn more about Packaging Testing...
Learn more about testing for the Pulp & Paper industry...
Learn more about Process & Product Testing...