More than ten years ago, the Recycled Paperboard Technical Association (RPTA) in conjunction with ALS Environmental began performing migration studies for food-contact paperboard. This long-term collaboration resulted in the RPTA’s publication of “Chemical Testing Protocol for Food-Contact Paperboard made from Recycled Fiber” in 1998 and the attendant annual monitoring that continues today. The lab testing protocol includes the parameters listed in the chart below...
RPTA Testing Protocol Parameters for Food-Contact Paperboard
|FDA Extractives||CFR 176.170||Conditions of use dependent upon product utilization|
|Bacteria||SM 9215B||Swab Test Protocol (1991)|
|Metals||EPA 6010/6020/7432||ICP-MS techniques preformed to achieve sensitivity for low allowable concentrations|
|Chlorinated Pesticides||EPA 8081|
|PCBs (as Aroclors)||EPA 8082||Low-level GC/ECD technique used|
|Volatile Organic Compounds||EPA 8260||GC/MS technique used|
|Dioxin (2378-TCDD and 2378-TCDF)||EPA 1613 or 8290||Trace technique used to reach 1 ppt reporting limit|
|PAHs||EPA 8270 SIM||Low-level selective ion monitoring (SIM) technique required to reach allowance concentrations|
|Semivolatile Organic Compounds||EPA 8270||Includes phthalate esters and other base neutral semivolatile organics|
Additional Product Testing Services include the following:
- Odor Emissions and Identification: Reduced Sulfur Compounds
- Carbonless Paper Component: Diisopropylnaphthalene (DIPN), Secondary Butyl Diphenyl Methane, and Secondary Butyl
- Diphenyl Ethane
- Wet Strength Resin Components: Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde
- Coatings/Retention Aids: Acrylamide, Ethyl Acetate, and Vinyl Acetate
- Simulated Microwave Emissions: Acrylonitrile, Benzene, Carbon Tetrachloride, Chloroform, 1,2-
- Dichloroethane, 1,4-Dioxane, Epichlorohydrin, Ethyl Acrylate, Methylene Chloride, and Trichlorethylene
- Proposition 65 Components
- Phthalate Esters
- Analytical Method Development for specific customer or regulatory parameters
Expanded Services for RPTA Members
ALS Environmental has provided services to most RPTA member mills. We have strived to provide the finest technical and customer service possible and consider the program a great success.
Stormwater (Permit Specific)
Services for RPTA Members
- Standard turn-around time for most projects is ten working days.
- Weekend receipt of samples available by request
- CLP-like reports available
- Electronic Data Deliverables and e-mailed reports
- Consulting services provided to achieve the best total solution
- Customized sampling kits
Learn more about Cardboard Testing...
Learn more about Food Packaging Testing...
Learn more about testing for the Pulp & Paper industry...
View Proposition 65 List (chemical list)...
Learn more about Prop 65 Lab Testing...
Learn about Acrylamide Testing...